Sunday, August 2, 2009

Living, Learning, and Raw in the UK!

Hellloooo people! :)
Sorry for such a large gap between posts. This summer program at Oxford is just filling my schedule to the brim! I have a wonderful British history teacher and a fantastic teacher for my "Money, Medicine, and the Environment in the Developing World" (she's from Italy!). We are having so many wonderful debates about slave labour in China, Organics, Fair Trade, and buying locally for local economical enrichment. All of the girls can't seem to get over how much fruit and greens I eat everyday, and the guys all are having a hard time believing that I'm not going to drop dead any second from lack of protein since I don't eat meat! LOL.

Eating and staying on a raw plant based diet has been SO much easier than I though it would be. There is a wide variety of fruit to eat in the morning (melons, pineapple, strawberries, oranges, tangerines, plums, peaches, kiwi, lemons, bananas, apples, and pears), they serve all 
of those fruits (with the exception of the melons and pineapple) at dinner too, as well as some nice greens, tomatoes, and cucumber. In town there is a lovely covered market that sells a variety of fruit as well.

The first thing I had to get over when I cam here was how much flavor all the fruit had. I am not kidding here! The fruit tastes amazing!!! The only thing that tastes better at home
 is the tomatoes I grow at hom ein my backyard.

Besides my studies I have had the opportunity to visit Christ's Church in Oxford, Blenhim Palace in Oxfordshire, and the National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery,and another covered market in London.

England is just so beautiful and I have taken so many photos that I plan on keeping FOREVER!

I'm going to the covered market in Oxford tomorrow with my RA and the other girls on our floor (I can't wait to see their fruit selection as well as their freshly juiced juices *grin*) after our classes for lunch, and then we plan on going to tour Murton College, which was the very first college of Oxford University.

New Fruits That I Have Had in the UK That I have Never Tried Before:

- Spanish Melon (this is now my favorite type of melon next to watermelon)
- Pomegranate

Tomorrow if I can I will be posting some photos. It's too late at night here at the moment. I am so tired! It's been a long day. . . Bon Nuit (Good Night)! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment