Saturday, January 16, 2010

Training for Half Marathon - Days 4 & 5

DAY 4 - Thursday
------------------------------------------------------
     Thursdays training was the hardest yet with a three mile run plus strength training. Not so bad in theory but when your legs are sore from the last two days of running and for the first third of the run was on a slight incline, it was a bit more challenging.
      I do think though, that this run was the best work out I have had in a quite a while. The only downside to the day really was the aching in my mouth. When I arrived home I had my mom take a look and apparently the last of my wisdom teeth are coming in.
     After my strength training that evening, I made a big batch of my favorite low-fat Cheesy Tomato Tahini dip to have with a bunch of raw veggies ( a heart of romaine, okra, carrots, celery, cucumber, sprouts, tomato) for dinner. I dip the carrots, celery, and okra in the dip and put some of the dip on top of the sprout and tomato "tacos" I make with the romaine leaves. This is probably my favorite savory veggie dinner of all time! Only problem was tonight, after finishing my meal my entire mouth/jaw began to throb relentlessly. It looks like I am going to be on a liquid diet until my teeth are finished coming through. Apparently chewing makes the aching worse.

Distance:

  • Walking - 0.87 miles (4.5 mph)
  • Running - 2.5 miles (1.5 miles at 6.6 mph + 1 mile at 7.0 mph)
Time: 40 minutes

Calories Burned: 250

Recovery Meal: 1 Quart Green Grape Smoothie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strength Training:
  • Weight Lifting - vigorously for 15 minutes
Calories Burned: 81

Recover Meal: Veggies with Cheesy Tomato Tahini Dip



DAY 5 - Friday
------------------------------------------------------
     Friday was a rest day, which couldn't have been better timed as I had loads of things to get done that day. At 10 am I had my appointment with my chiropractor, and it's possible that the pain in my knees are being caused by a problem with the right side of my hip. The chiropractor took a couple x-rays of my hip and Monday I will be going back in to see what he has found.
     Normally I wouldn't agree to getting x-rays done due to the radiation, but if an x-ray is needed in order to better understand a problem then I am alright with that. X-rays are useful, I just don't believe in taking an unneeded x-rays. In fact, the only x-rays I have ever had until now have been of mouth at the dentist, and even then, I believe I have only had them x-rayed a handful of times through out my life time. 
     The rest of the day was spent  completing the last of my college applications and sending them off, and running to the local grocery stores (Ingles and Kroger) to pick up a few odds and ends for the weekend:
    • Green Grapes
    • Pineapple
    • 170g of Golden Raspberries (what a find!)
    • Clementines
    • Frozen Blueberries
    • Frozen Strawberries
    • Frozen Peaches
    • Cabbage (to make some veggie soup for my mom)
    • Yellow Squash (also for my mom's veggie soup)
    • Canned Aduki Beans (for veggie soup)
    • Tofurky sandwich slices (for my brother)
    • So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream (for my brother)
       I have to be honest and say that the Golden Raspberries didn't even make to the end of the day! LOL. I though together an probiotic anti-inflammatory smoothie with them for a snack that might help alleviate the throbbing that was currently going on in my mouth.  I shared some of it with my mom and she loved it! :-) And it made the throbbing ache in my mouth recede in intensity almost instantly.

Golden Cream Dream Smoothie
***********************************
- 1 3/4 C. Pineapple, chopped
- 170 g (6oz.) Golden Raspberries_
- 1/2 Tbs. Raw Honey
- 1 Tbs. Raw Probiotic Coconut Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp. vanilla (optional)



      I have got to say that I cannot wait until March! So much exciting stuff will be going on for both my family and I. March is the month I will know what colleges I have been accepted to, the month I run my half marathon, and the month where my mom and I travel to Arizona to look for a house to move into!! I think that is what keeps me going, knowing that things might be same old  right now, but a new adventure is awaiting me just around the corner, All I need do is be patient.



No comments:

Post a Comment