Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday: Market Day

I absolutely ADORED the weather today! It was nice and warm with low humidity, a light breeze, and clear blue skies with a bunch of fluffy white clouds. Since today was Friday, it meant it was time for my mom and I to undertake our weekly grocery shopping excursion in Atlanta. So when I woke up this morning I made myself a lovely green smoothie to finish off the last of the fresh produce from last week. The smoothie turned out looking more purple/bluish than green but it tasted divine!

A lovely concoction: 2 C. frozen banana, 1 1/2 C. blueberries, 1/2 C. strawberries, 2 C. romaine lettuce, &  a tbs. of raw honey 


After breakfast I was feeling really energized so I decided to take my dog, Charlie, for a mile long walk before I was to leave for the day to go grocery shopping. Honestly I was feeling so good, that if I had more time, I would have walked quite a few more miles. I was just glad though that I got to enjoy the lovely sunshine and fresh air for a little while at least. :)


Now when my mother and I go shopping for food, we go to three markets: 1) Whole Foods, 2) Rainbow Natural Foods, and #) the Dekalb Farmers' Market. We go to whole foods because it has the organic versions of the food my brother eats (tofurky brats, organic potato chips, hummus, root beer, cereal, Udo's oil, canned pumpkin, etc.) They also have a great salad and juice bar that my mom and I love to have lunch at. Today I had a nice big bowl of spinach with pineapple, strawberries, and cucumber with a fresh juice of lemon, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
 
The next stop we make (Rainbow) is because it has a lot of the foods that my mother and brother eat (hempseed, raw organic nuts, whole grain pasta, sprouted corn tortillas, grits, soy milk, raw cacao powder, etc.). I usually get my raw honey, seaweed, bee pollen, aloe vera, and sometimes a raw kombucha as a treat, from Rainbow. Today, however, was a rare exception where we didn't need anything from Rainbow. 
 
Since my mom and I had some extra time we decided to make a quick stop at the Lush store at the mall close by Whole Foods. I got a couple of freshly made face masks made with whole and natural ingredients. I got the Cupcake which has rhassoul mud, linseed, cacao butter, cacao powder. peppermint, spearmint, and sandalwood it it. It smells like chocolate! I've used this one before in Europe and it reduced my pours, cleared up come black heads, and made my skin glow! I also got the Cosmetic Warrior which has fresh garlic, tea tree essential oil, kaolin, grapes, honey, free range egg, and corn. I tried it for the first time tonight. The smell was a bit off putting, but the results more than made up for that! My skin was was so soft and clear, I don't know which one I like better, the Cupcake or the Cosmetic Warrior.

The last stop of the day, the Dekalb Farmer's Market, is my favorite stop of the three. Here I load up on yummy fresh leafy greens, veggies, and LOTS of luscious fruit! I have to share with my mom (and on occasion with my brother) the fresh produce purchased, but I don't mind much because I can always get more from our local grocers if I really need to, and the more raw plant based foods my family eats, the better. Today I bought:
  • 4 organic mangos (will be getting more from Ingles when their organic shipment gets in on Monday)
  • 1 big papaya
  • 3 big bunches of organic banana
  • a pint of organic strawberries
  • a pkg. of organic blueberries
  • 8 organic gala apples
  • 7 organic lemons
  • 1 HUGE watermelon
  • 1 lb. red globe grapes
  • 2 guavas (never had them before, wonder what they taste like)
  • 2 mamey sapote ( I have been dying to try these! Heard they are quite tasty.)
  • 1 stalk of organic celery
  • 2 organic cucumber
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 bunch organic dinosaur kale
  • 4 organic zucchini
  • a jicama
  • ginger
  • a bunch of organic radishes
  • mushrooms, potatoes, green beans, EVO, and whole wheat bagels (for my mom & brother)








When my mom and I got home, I set about washing everything, chopping, pre-prepping, and putting all the produce away. I also went into the backyard to collect what might be the last crop of tomatoes and bell pepper from our garden. This means that we will have to start buying them from the Farmers' Market again. While this is fine, I really loved having really REALLY fresh and flavorful tomatoes at my disposable when ever I wanted some. :(


For dinner I had a bunch of watermelon (so sweet!) which I will be finishing off completely tomorrow. And now that the day has come to an end I feel quite good. Time to get some rest. I plan on going to the park tomorrow to do some more walking and maybe lie in the sun afterwards to read.

Pure fruit beauty. A perfect meal. Such a succulent indulgence.





I always cut up some nice ripe bananas and freeze them for my brother. He loves it when I make him raw cacao hemp banana smoothies for breakfast or for his post-karate work out recovery drink! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment